Total Pageviews

Follow me on Twitter! @AndresDaniel85

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Richard

Below is a small excerpt from one of my book's upcoming chapters. Enjoy!

Have you ever met someone that is so painfully dumb, yet so incredibly genuine that you can't help but invite this person into your life? That's exactly how I would describe Richard, my grandmother’s housekeeper/handyman. Richard is 45 years old and comes in a very compact little frame. I can’t imagine he weighs much more than a kiwi. On any given day, Richard will adorn a different hair color that he proudly boasts was done professionally by him. Often times, he wears an old hat and an assortment of t-shirts, pants, and shoes that are at least 4 times his size. Adding to this his high-pitched voice, child-like character and goofy demeanor, Richard clearly sticks out no matter where he goes. He speaks fast and unintelligible, yet his facial expressions and hand gestures are what effectively communicate his ideas the most. Let me give you some background on Richard, who just so happens to be my purest source of entertainment each time I visit Paraguay. In all of my worldly travels and people that I’ve met, I am most intrigued by Richard.

Richard is officially retarded. Well, maybe not in the actual diagnosable sense, but I'm convinced that there's more than a few wires loose up there. Richard started his life in an orphanage where he grew up having little, if anything at all, to call his own. From what he has shared, he's told me he used to sleep in parks and perform odd jobs to survive his adolescent years. As a 45 year old adult now, he has the maturity level of a 13 year old girl at best. I say girl because Richard is a flaming homosexual. He'll never admit it, but one conversation with the man is like speaking with the gossiping neighborhood old lady. My great uncle Oscar doesn’t care much for Richard and openly harasses him due mostly to his homosexuality, but also because he’s just a grumpy old man with most likely a small and non-functioning penis. My grandmother and Richard, however, have a very interesting relationship. To me, it seems as though they are more like sisters rather than boss/employee.

My grandmother comes from a German background as a result of her grandparents emigrating from Germany to Paraguay in the late 1800’s. She’s stalky, fair-skinned and tall with red hair and a large bunion on her right foot. The bunion has been there for as long as I can remember, and I’ve come to consider it as part of the family. I often times wonder how she’s able to wear normal shoes given the size of this particular bunion, but she always seems to successfully mold each shoe to the peculiar shape of her foot. Physically, my grandmother and Richard are complete polar opposites. She also has a very stubborn and strong personality and enjoys running her household much like a German airport – clean, efficient, and orderly. There’s a staff of two housekeepers who cook and clean, an attractive gardener who comes once a week, and then there’s Richard, who basically does any leftover chores and provides entertainment for my grandmother on a regular basis. In short, Richard sweeps the sidewalk in front of her house, watches soap operas, and changes the occasional light bulb as his main job duties. While my grandmother puts on a tough front, she holds one of the kindest and warmest hearts underneath it all, and this becomes most evident around Richard.

Often times my grandmother and Richard get into arguments over which soap operas to watch. “Richard you have work to do and I want to find out who killed Rosario in this week’s episode of Amantes Diablos” she’ll scold. “But, Senora, I want to find out who is the whore that slept with Magdalena’s husband and aborted the bastard baby in Dos Amantes!” he’ll beg, using his hands to gesture his dramatic plea in a high-pitched voice while staring at her with eager eyes like a child begging for candy at the check-out counter. Of course, my grandmother has a soft spot for Richard and often gives in, but not without intelligently bartering first. “Fine Richard, you can watch the first 20 minutes, but then you need to trim the branches of the mango tree because one fell on Delia the other day and I’m tired of her blaming my house’s imbalanced energy field after every piece of fruit that falls on her head." Of course Richard will always reluctantly agree, but not without stating that her house and overall well-being would be a disaster if not for him. This is untrue for a number of reasons, as Richard is notoriously clumsy and unreliable.

In my most recent visit to my grandmother's house in Paraguay, I found out that Richard had left and never returned. My grandma explained that she had embarked on her routine summer trip to see us in the U.S., leaving behind her cell phone for the housekeeper to charge while she was away. She had also left 2 weeks pay for Richard, on top of extra money for the tutor that she had hired for Richard's reading lessons. Again, Richard isn't actually retarded; he's just one of those people left behind by the educational system and society. So, my grandmother had made a deal with him that she would pay for a tutor if he promised to stick with it. Upon her return, my grandma found that her cell phone and all of the money intended for Richard and his tutor had disappeared. Presumably, it was Richard who had turned himself into a petty thief and stolen my grandmother's cell phone. It was strange to notice how my grandmother didn't actually care about the missing contents, but seemed to care more about the fact that Richard would leave her in such a way. Needless to say, I could sense some strain and tension in my grandma's relationship with Richard.

While I was at her house, I began to notice that every morning there would be a fresh batch of avocados in the kitchen. These particular avocados were hard and yellowish in color and sat on the kitchen counter like plastic ornaments that no one gave a second thought to. After a couple of days, I asked my grandmother why she had decided to buy so many avocados that weren't even ripe. "Oh I didn't buy these" she responded. "This is Richard's attempt at making up." It turns out that for the previous week, Richard would arrive every morning at 7am, ring the doorbell, and leave a bag of freshly picked Avocados at my grandmother's front door. The housekeeper, Rosa, had mentioned that she had witnessed Richard carefully approaching the house the way one would approach a bear in the wilderness, quietly look around, and place the bag of avocados by the front gate. After doing so, he would ring the doorbell and run like hell, flailing his arms like a rabid bat all the way down the street as he negotiated the cracks in the sidewalk with his oversized shoes. This had now become his morning ritual, where he had reasoned that a daily bag of avocados was the perfect way to make amends with someone you had stolen from. I begged Rosa to inform Richard that I was visiting and would love to have him stop by. She relayed my message and told me that Richard would like to stop by, but he is afraid of my grandmother yelling at him. My grandmother laughed as she cleared the space on top of the fridge for the 500 avocados, and instructed Rosa to tell him that she promised she would not yell. Richard then had Rosa inform us that he would be stopping by the house the following afternoon at 4pm sharp. I could see the look of subtle joy on my grandmother’s face at the thought of her sisterly confidant returning for an afternoon of entertainment.

The following morning, I awoke to find Rosa preparing an avocado salad for lunch and was quickly reminded of Richard’s afternoon visit.

“Don’t forget the 4pm visitor we are receiving today!” I exclaimed to my grandmother as she walked into the kitchen.

“4pm? Who’s coming at 4pm?”

“Richard! Remember? You promised not to yell at him”

“Oh, Richard is coming at 4? It had completely slipped my mind” she lied.

My grandmother made her way to the table, pulled out a chair, and slowly sat next to me. After a few moments of silence, she turned to me and said, “What the hell am I supposed to do with all of these avocados?"

She then proceeded to tell me numerous stories involving her history with Richard, all of them involving some sort of humorous outcome that she found entertaining. Apparently, there was one time that Richard had requested to borrow an umbrella to fight off the afternoon rainstorm on his way to the bus stop. “Go into the garage and there should be an umbrella in there for you, Richard” my grandmother told him. A few moments later, she heard him holler his usual “Bye Senora! See you tomorrow!” The door closed and my grandmother, along with Rosa, made their way to the living room window to watch Richard leave. Sure enough, the site they saw was not a letdown. Sashaying confidently down the street in his baggy pants and bright blue XXL Old Navy shirt was Richard, holding an enormously large blue pool umbrella that was gargantuan enough to house a family of 10 on a camping trip. A short time later, Richard returned to the house with a dazed and confused look on his face.

“Senora, I had to come back because my umbrella wouldn’t fit in the bus and everyone was staring at me! The ladies at the bus stop asked me why I was carrying an umbrella that is 3 times my size!”
My grandmother laughed and said, “Richard, that’s because that umbrella is from America and they haven’t seen anything as fashionable and useful here. They were probably just jealous. Here, take this small one and go catch your bus.”

When my grandmother retold the story, I couldn’t quite imagine the size of this umbrella without seeing it for myself. I had decided then and there that I would ask Richard to re-enact the scenario during his afternoon visit.

**Read more about Richard, along with pictures of his visit, when the book comes out later this fall!**

No comments:

Post a Comment