Total Pageviews

Follow me on Twitter! @AndresDaniel85

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hunnay, wha you like today?!

It wasn't so long ago that I remember my mother taking me to Cartoon Cuts at Lakeforest Mall for my monthly haircuts. It was one of my favorite things because I was always intrigued by the transformations that came along with a haircut. She'd hand me over to the hairdresser who proceeded to plop me on top of a giant plastic elephant where I would remain until the haircut was over.

"Ok listen," I'd say with authority to the hairdresser. "I want to look just like Zack Morris on Saved By The Bell. I don't really care how you do it, but make me blond and make the mushroom cut a perfectly straight line. I don't care for AC Slater so please don't make me look anything like him."

Saved By The Bell was my favorite show in 4th grade, so obviously I had to look like my crush - Zack Morris. "Sure thing sweety. I'll see what I can do," she smiled, as though just to appease me. In reality though, she was doing the haircut to her taste because, as she presumed, what does a 9 year-old know? Of course, 30 minutes would pass and I would look nothing like Zack Morris. By the end of each haircut, I was furious.

"Mom, she didn't make me blond and the mushroom line in the back is not nearly visible enough! Why did you pay the lady?!"
"Andres, you're being rude. Stop the tantrums or no Burger King for you!" my mom would say, in her thick Spanish accent. Burger King was her solution to shutting me up, which in turn allowed her to shop for hours while I quietly scarfed down french fries and nuggets near the kids area with my 88 year-old grandmother. Although frustrating, the entire process of the haircut was relatively simple and worry-free for me. We'd come in, I'd make my demands on top of a plastic animal, and my mom would pay. Being a kid was so care-free in that respect.

In my older age, I've grown to fear haircuts. Not because of the actual act of cutting my hair, but because of the barbaric process of choosing a stylist. Over the years, I've bounced between salons and hairdressers the way one might shop around for the perfect home. My hair is very simple to cut and style, so the stress involved in choosing a stylist is beyond me. A few years ago, I wandered into the Hair Cuttery at Kentland's in a hurry. My normal stylist at Bubbles, Joy, was booked. I hate having to make an appointment for a haircut - something that takes ten minutes. It's not a root canal, and I'm more of a "Walk-ins welcomed" type of guy.

"Herro, how can I herp you?" said the nice Asian lady behind the counter. According to her black nametag, her name was Amy.
"Yes, I'd just like a simple haircut. I don't have an appointment."
"Ohhhh no probrem! I not busy I cut your hair very good! Ten minute!"

I had instantly fallen in love. Fast, cheap, and ethnic. Just the way I like it. For the next 3 years, I would visit Amy once a month every Friday for my haircut. I loved walking in and seeing her levels of excitement sky rocket. "Andrea! How are you!? Take seat I be with you in minute. Just finishing Fat Joe," she'd say, as the overweight balding man named Joe would stare back at himself warily in the mirror. I wondered if Joe was even his name. Judging by the look on his face, I'm certain that "Fat Joe" is not the official nickname he had presented himself with upon meeting Amy. Each haircut, Amy would ask me the same questions as though she had prepared a speech prior to my arrival.

"You go on vacation yet?"
"Yes I'm going to the beach next week."
"Oh my Godddddddddd you so lich!!!"
"No I'm not rich. I just like to throw away my money on cheap haircuts and travel."
"AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You funny! I bet girlfriend love you!" she'd say. Amy always laughed at everything I said - no matter what. I could talk about a news story related to a dead baby that accidentally swallowed a bag of narcotics and she'd bust out in high-pitched hysterics. An evening spent with Amy was the perfect boost for the weekend every Friday.

Because of this, I was horrified one afternoon when I entered the Hair Cuttery and found that Amy was not around.

"Can I help you?" said the new Asian girl with far better English.

"Yes, I'm looking for Amy. Is she around?"
"Oh she just left. But I'm free. My name is Jodie, I'm the head stylist. I usually require appointments but my 7:00 canceled so I'm available."

How does one become a lead stylist at a Hair Cuttery? The fact that she requires appointments for a $14 haircut annoyed me, but since I was desperate I gave in.

The second I sat in her chair, I felt instantly guilty. Her station was directly next to Amy's station, and I couldn't help but feel as though I was having an affair. I found myself quietly mouthing the words, "I'm Sorry" to the pictures of Amy's small Asian children taped over the mirror of her booth.

"It's nice to meet you, Andres. Please sit back and relax. I will take care of you today" Said Jodie, as she massaged my temples. It was clear to me that this was now a huge predicament I was in, as my feelings for Jodie became more intense every second that passed. By the end of the flawlessly executed haircut, she handed me her business card with floating kittens sprinkled all over it.

"See you next month, and remember what I told you about the new product I gave you. Use it sparingly but dazzle your tips with it so as to stimulate the hair folicles. It will give more shine and volume to your look and accentuate your facial featuers."

Holy shit. This lady was the real deal - I felt as though I had just undergone some intense spa treatment and lazer lipo. All for only $14 plus tip.

A month later, I was nervous as I walked into the Hair Cuttery. I had scheduled an appointment with Jodie at 7pm on a Friday, and was hoping and wishing that Amy would have gone home for the day. As I walked in, I was greeted by Jodie and, directly behind her in my line of sight, was Amy.

"Oh herro Andrea! Take seat I be with you right when I finish with baby Jane!" yelled Amy, as a fully grown adolescent girl apparently named Jane sat uncomfortably confused in her chair. In moments like these, I become very awkward and terrified - leaving me often times speechless. "Ok I'll wait here," I replied. Why did I just lie? I know it makes things worse in the end, but I had no other reaction. It was like second nature.

Eventually, Jodie motioned me towards her chair and I reluctantly followed. Like a creepy serial killer, I leaned over to whisper in Amy's ear. "Amy I'm kind of in a hurry today and I know you're super busy because you're just the best stylist in here, but is it OK if Jodie takes care of me today?" With a confused look, Amy nodded her head and said, "Of course, Andrea. No probrem. You go on vacation?"

The next 25-30 minutes were the most uncomfortable of my life. As Jodie went further and further into the haircut, as though she were some sort of Asian trapeze artist with magical hands, I could see Amy's demeanor change. Like some desperate geisha, Amy would intermittently cut into our conversation. "Andrea, I know you rike vacation. I no see you in rong time! How is work? I bet you go away with your girlfriend to tropical paladise or Vegas. I rove Vegas I go with my husband to pray gambring games!" Jodie would uncomfortably smile and say, "Well, Andres, I'm glad you came to me before your vacation. You're going to look spectacular." I sat uncomfortably as the two Asian women battled for my love and affection. If only my real-life relationships were this glamorous.

By the end of the haircut, I walked hurriedly to the counter to pay. What I failed to also realize was how similar both Jodie and Amy looked. In my hasty attempt to leave the ambushed set-up of the Hair Cuttery, I accidentally tipped Amy instead of Jodie. The only way I realized what I had done was when Amy blushed and said, "Oh tank you Andrea! Come back so soon and see me ok?" Fuck. I had mixed up my Asians. Not only that, but I loved Jodie and was giving her an extra $15 as tip for an awesome haircut. I cursed myself as I walked over to the real Jodie and shelled out another $15 to make-up for my stupidity. Suddenly, my $14 haircut had resulted in $44. I don't even have $44 worth of hair to cut, but I exited quickly and vowed not to return again. I just couldn't bare the thought of choosing between my beloved Asian stylists. I learned long ago from many romantic comedies that if you love someone enough, you put their happiness before yours. This is exactly what I had to do with Amy and Jodie. I didn't want to break their hearts and cause Asian mafia wars within the walls of the Hair Cuttery, so I left and never returned.

A month later, I walked down the street from my office on 19th and Penn and stumbled upon "David's Hair Salon". As I walked in, David greeted me and pointed me towards an older Asian woman named "NaNa". Here, I received the actual BEST haircut of my life. NaNa even shaved my eyebrows and sculpted my neckline as meticulously as possible. I felt as though my own grandmother was lovingly cutting my hair. I paid $40 for that haircut (including tip), but I left happily knowing I now had a new Asian woman to mend my broken heart.

When I returned to see her a month later, I was met once again with David, the owner. "You're looking for NaNa? She's not here today, but I'm free and would be happy to take you." Reluctantly, I agreed because I was leaving for a gay weekend in Rehoboth the following day, where it's startlingly tacky to show up with a lion's mane on your head. So David cut my hair, and did an AMAZING job. I paid him $43 dollars and, as I walked out the door, he said "See you in a month!"

I knew right then and there that I would never be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment